Tuesday, April 19, 2011

My Psychic Journey: Part One

            As a paranormal researcher, I have to look at all aspects of it with an open mind and a willingness to write about it.  Before I started this blog, I wouldn’t touch certain subjects.  I found them boring or too insane.  I would stick to monsters, UFOs, and ghosts.  I know now that there is much more to learn, so I’m trying new things out.  I picked up this book, Awakening Your Psychic Powers, by Henry Reed, Ph. D.  It’s an Edgar Cayce guide.  Before I got this book, I had no idea who Edgar Cayce was.  From what I’ve learned so far, he was a well-studied and well-documented psychic.  Before I go on, let me explain my feelings toward psychics, prior to reading much of anything about them.  I’ve seen quite a few on TV, on certain ghost shows.  They all seemed like lunatics to me.  Sometimes they would get something right, a profession, a name, the way someone died.  How, though, could it be proved that the information they picked up on wasn’t obtained before filming?  I really never believed the channeling and possession aspects of psychic ability.  It was too far out, and it seemed to reek of mental disorders.  I would never degrade a crazy person, in fact, I’m one myself.  However, when someone has a mental illness is called in to help someone else, disastrous consequences could occur.  The person who thinks they are seeing things is being praised when they should actually be getting professional help.  I know I could open up a whole bunch of discussions here, but I’ll save that for later and move on.  I was occasionally impressed, less by TV psychics, but more by psychics I’ve read about in Hans Holzer and Brad Stieger books.  The séances seemed more interesting, but there was still a question of whether or not some facts were exaggerated or even fabricated.  It’s all that new age stuff that bothers me.  Finding your spirit guide, and stuff like that.  So when I started reading this book, I was pretty skeptical.  And you know what?  I still am.  However, I will see this book to the end and share with you any insights or techniques I’ve picked up along the way. 
            I finished chapter two last night, so I believe I can write at least a little bit of what the book is about.  First of all, the subject of Edgar Cayce.  He seems to be a pretty interesting guy.  He did not complete his formal education, but he seems pretty wise.  He’s worked with thousands of people, he’s healed himself of certain maladies, and he’s helped other people in many ways.  He took his gift and ran with it, claiming that God gave the gift to him.  This is where things get interesting.  This book is pro creationism, and it seems to tell the reader that psychic power doesn’t come from one’s self, but rather a oneness with God.  I realized pretty quickly at this point that there is a difference between psychics and TV psychics.  The book does not specifically state this, but I’m smart enough to figure some things out for myself.  The psychics on ghost shows are mediums.  They are the ones that speak to the dead and let the dead speak through them.  A basic psychic, as defined in this book, is someone with an ability to reach into the minds of people and not necessarily read their thoughts, but discover where their pain lies, mentally and physically.  With that major distinction out of the way, I finally know what I am researching in this book, and I am more open to what it is saying.
            The first two chapters don’t give me any real techniques on how to miraculously become a psychic.  Yet it does raise some interesting points.  It brings up some concerns that people may have before delving into a psychic kind of life.  Is reading people’s thoughts morally acceptable?  What if I hear things I don’t want to hear?  Will I be able to control this ability once I have it?  These are very good questions, but I’m not going to pay much attention to them, because I am starting at such a basic level that I don’t think my abilities could ever get that fine tuned.  But if they do, I’ll definitely discuss how to control such an ability.  So for a beginner like me, the book focuses on the fact that the concept of oneness with the world and God is pretty important on the path to becoming a psychic.  The concept that we are all living on this planet and therefore we should all be attuned to each other and live and breathe as one is pretty difficult for me to comprehend.  There are a lot of people I don’t like and can’t even imagine even having a little love for.  Love and compassion are very important because to be a psychic, you must love the world and love what’s in the world.  I’m so not there yet.  An exercise that Dr. Reed mentioned is to meditate and imagine yourself without a head and to experience the world that way.  I kind of like my head and brain, so it’s hard to imagine parting with them.  But now that I think about it, I believe Dr. Reed means that you should imagine removing yourself from judgmental ideas, influenced opinions, and willful thought.  Without a head, you might experience the world the way it truly is and feel things without preconceived notions.  Next, Dr. Reed has you imagine that the world is your head.  I think he’s going for the concept of oneness again.  If the world is your head, you can see all of creation and you are part of that creation.  I know, this all sounds like new-age silliness, but it can’t hurt for me to try these exercises out.
            The really interesting thing that Dr. Reed brings up is our dualistic nature.  If we try to focus on a word or an image, our mind will inadvertently wander.  This is where it seems there are two parts to us; the part that is aware and focusing on that word or image, and the back of the brain that wanders, that quietly connects thought to thought.  The second part is where our oneness lies.  It’s deep within us, but I guess it’s our true self, not the façade we put up for everyone else.  That’s who we need to get in touch with to tap into our psychic powers.     
            As I said before, I’ve only just finished the second chapter, so I don’t know much yet.  I really doubt I’ll be able to do this at all, since the logical and self-aware part of my brain is always in overdrive.  I just ask you to stay tuned, and together we can see if I become more enlightened.

No comments:

Post a Comment